Online Sewing Pattern Designer

4936 Blue dress

Name 4936 Blue dress
Status finished
Happiness
Started Nov 20, 2020
Completed Dec 19, 2020
Progress 90 %
Privacy public
Notes The piping is scuba and the knit fabric of the dress is 87% cotton, 9% polyester, 4% elastane. I had to change the front completely. I had already sewn the edges of Piping and sewed the lining into place. The front remained too open and the fabric remained too thick to sit nicely. I also widened the hem by 3 cm per seam. I had to take in from the upper side and also from the front, I cut off the belt. I covered the seam with flowers. :)
Even the dress could have been a little tighter even though I was trying to hide the bump in my stomach.:D
The jacket in the dress was also largely ready but I am not happy with the princess seams on the back - again. Somehow I don’t make them succeed and the jacket bags from the sides on the back side. And I don't know how to solve the problem. So I’ll start the jacket with a new formula again. This is also the second version of the dress when the first one totally went wrong. Sure, from the first version, I can take advantage of the bottom and get a skirt from it. A loose pocket is also planned.

Users Comments

  • Mirja Liehunen

    Merci beaucoup Jaeckel Jaeckel. :)

  • Jaeckel Jaeckel

    Trés jolie transformation.

  • Mirja Liehunen

    Thank you Maria. I know that my own pattern choices aren’t always appropriate for the fabric and that causes problems. Nevertheless, I might be stubborn if I like the model. With it, I get into trouble. But it’s also good to get to know the behavior of fabrics. The idea here too was to have a fitted top and an A-shaped bottom.

  • Maria

    You seem to have done a good job of rescuing this one, very clever use of the flowers!
    I agree with Desiree, the choice of fabric is important, possibly some of your difficulties may have been too much stretch in the fabric? or just thickness of the fabric?
    I think the colour and print of your fabric is lovely - well done!

  • Mirja Liehunen

    Thanks JdT. I sometimes wonder the same about whether most seamstresses succeed at once. Lekala's patterns also sometimes produce surprises. I tried to make an original dress with the 5053 pattern. But the front side turned out to be surprisingly narrow and the sleeve would have come halfway up the chest and it looked weird even though the fabric is very stretchy.
    I should have done a trial version but I haven’t found a suitable cheap stretch fabric for that purpose.
    I like the fabric and that dress model too so yes, I’m going to keep it on.

  • JdT

    Nice to read an honest review. Nowadays people only make their work shine and when you struggle with sewing you tend to feel you are the only one having bad sewing days... your comment is valuable, and made to help us. Thank you, nice pattern: I will perhaps use some kind of viscose, and make a toile first. The dress is still nice, hopefully you will wear it

  • Mirja Liehunen

    Than you désirée boutault. :)

  • désirée boutault

    tout a fait d'accord
    c'est de nos erreurs que l'on avance
    et je trouve ta robe vraiment bien mais le choix du tissu est tres important pour chaque modele
    n'abandonne pas cela serait dommage

  • Mirja Liehunen

    Thank you Newenka.

  • Newenka

    What bad luck you can have and such a shame to get everything loose again. We learn from mistakes, but it is not fun. Still, I think your dress is beautiful despite it not being to your liking.