Online Sewing Pattern Designer

Blue flower dress

Name Blue flower dress
Status finished
Happiness
Started Jul 20, 2018
Completed Aug 2, 2018
Progress 100 %
Privacy public
Notes The fit of this style is really clever, I had been concerned that it would look a little "shapeless" but I was really pleased with the result. The fitting of the bodice is achieved with small contributions from each of 3 different methods - the neckline pleat, princess seam and a small dart (the dart is not shown on the diagram). This gives a really neat and comfortable fit. The raglan shoulder seams/ 2 piece sleeves also help to give this an excellent fit - this is the main reason I tried this pattern, as I have very narrow shoulders and a raglan seam is usually helpful for this.

The in-seam pockets at the front are very useful, but a little shallow to retain my mobile phone (I solved this by stitching the pocket entrance on one side smaller. The pocket attachment areas on the dress front definitely benefited from interfacing, I also found that stitching the 2 pockets together on the inside helped to stabilise them in use (the mobile phone again!)

I added 6cm to the length of the pattern to take it to an on-the-knee length, faced the hem with a deep facing and added a split at the back so I could move easily.

The fabric is a Laura Ashley cotton, navy blue with a print of white tulips and anemones. Unfortunately I only had a small piece of this, so was not able to pattern match the back of the dress.

Update - this dress is one of my favourites, so I have since made different versions of it!

Users Comments

  • Fairy Duff

    Thank you for posting with all this detail. I am putting this pattern on my wish-list because of your clear description of features of this pattern and your variations/adaptations.